Pages

Thursday 10 May 2012

It ain't over 'til it's over


Many students are currently undertaking their end of year examinations or will shortly be doing so.  Understandably, during this period the focus for many switches solely to revision, with applying for placements and internships put firmly on hold. I can’t say that I blame them, and if I were back at university in their position I would probably do the same. However, the conclusion of the exam period and the decisions a student takes at that time can be pivotal to their future career.

Inevitably, once the last exam is out of the way, there will be a desire to let off steam, head for a few parties and say goodbye to your friends for the summer break. Those students who have already secured a placement will head off knowing exactly what is in store for them but for those without the summer is a period of uncertainty.

Despite my efforts to put things right, there is always a lot of misinformation that does the rounds among my cohorts of students. Rumours circulate that the Placement Office is closed for the summer, that if a student hasn’t got a placement by the end the exams, they will not get one. Both are completely false, but for some there are psychological barriers to overcome if they are to pick up the pieces and get back onto the application bandwagon.

Therefore, here are some thoughts for students who still want to find a placement.

It is not too late

You may have friends who start working for their employer in the next few weeks, but all that really means is that their 12 month placement will conclude early next summer. At my university, students can start a placement year right up until the end of September, so don’t write yourself off just yet.

We are open for business

Some students believe that their Careers Service shuts down for the summer and re-opens in the autumn. I can’t speak with authority for every service around the country, but I would be surprised if there are any universities where this happens. Barring a holiday or the occasional day off, I will be at work throughout the summer and will be doing all I can to help my students to find and secure placement opportunities. Don’t listen to rumours, contact your team to find out their summer opening hours.

I have done nothing so far, surely I have left it too late to apply for placements?

Not necessarily. Ideally you will have engaged with the placement process before now, but every year I meet students during the summer who have not made a single application, but go on to get a placement. Yes, coming to see me in June will mean a lot of companies are no longer advertising, but I will point the students in the direction of organisations that do have vacancies.

I have a part time job and can’t commit to placement interviews

I suppose this is a question of priorities. Yes you don’t want to annoy your manager by having to take days off, often at short notice for interviews, but you aren’t going to get a placement if you don’t go to see the employer. Giving up a few hours of serving coffee to suit up and potentially get hired is a sacrifice worth making.

My friends have decided to go straight into the final year, so I want to as well

Obviously after two years at university you will have made a close circle of friends and they can be an influencing factor on the decisions you make. Ultimately though, your future and employment prospects come down to you, not your friends. You may not think so now, but in a few years time beyond graduation your social circle will look very different to the one you currently have. When you finish your final year, your friends are going to head in different directions anyway and then what are you going to do? If you are convinced that a placement year is going to benefit you, don’t let your friends talk you out of it. And who knows, once you get a job and start earning reasonable money, your friends may suddenly have a change of heart.

You may have been looking for a placement since the autumn, and have a few mental scars to show for it. But with all you have learned from your applications and interviews to date, don't go quitting on yourself now.


2 comments:

  1. Pretty much sums it up perfectly! I tell my students that resilience is the key thing that separates successful students in the process. Often students have never been rejected until they reach the placement process. It is the best part of the job when a student that has engaged all year gets a great placement. You swiftly go from the boy that cried wolf to a man of wisdom in their eyes! 'You only need one yes, the rejections will not appear on your CV' helps put the process in perspective I find.

    Hope you are well.

    Mike Grey

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mike

    Thanks for your comments and excellent advice. I hope all is going well with your job and your students are getting rewarded for their endeavours.

    ReplyDelete